Sunday, December 5, 2010

The law of unequals

It was the day before elections,the kind of time when people travel a lot,trying to get make it in time to cast their vote.One of my friends was going home,so was my maid;and that was where the similarity came to an end.While my friend was paying 5000 bucks on his airfare to be able to vote ,the maid was being paid 500 bucks to vote in favor of one of the candidates.They went there ways-one to make a difference and the other to negate it;difference was losing 1 to 10.Welcome to India,Welcome to Democracy and Welcome to Equality!
At my graduation I was told a story of an eagle which was raised amongst hens.Without any knowledge of it's true identity it blended with them,lived as one among them.When it realized it's potential it flew away.I look around and see eagles stifled amongst hens.Nobody cares about eagles,democracy is about the most not the best.It's not about Amartya Sen,Vinod Chosla or Rajat Gupta it is about a poor,illiterate voter who is doing more harm to himself than anybody else.

No comments: